The most popular legal topics of 2018 were of-counsel relationships, hourly rates and auto accident UIM releases.
Lawyers were also interested in trust account guidelines and … wait for it … Netflix watchlists.
Those were the findings of a round-up of the most popular 2018 postings on Lawyers Mutual’s website.
6 Lawyers Mutual Posts You Loved
Based on the number of click-throughs, here are the six most popular posts and articles from last year:
- Tips and Traps in Of Counsel Relationships. Are you clear on what of-counsel means? How do you set up an of-counsel relationship that complies with ethics rules? And how to make it profitable for both sides – and for clients too?
- Top 10 Lawyer Hourly Rates by City. Hourly fees are skyrocketing in some parts of the country, notably Texas and New York. Flat rates continue as the norm for traffic, immigration and criminal cases.
- Auto Accident UIM Claims: The Full Release – Beware the Snake In the Grass. Practical suggestions to avoid the pitfalls of signing a Full Release while a potential underinsured claim is pending.
- 7 Lawyer Shows for your Netflix Watchlist. TV worth viewing, from Seven Seconds to Twelve Angry Men.
- The Difference Between Me, Myself and I. In which a lawyer freaks out over the misuse of the word “myself.”
- Clients Guide to Understanding a Lawyers Trust Account. The co-founder of TrustBooks tells you how to explain trust accounting to your clients.
Best Legal Marketing and Wellness Blogposts
The blog site Attorney at Work compiled its most-visited popular posts of 2018. Here they are:
- The Secret Science of Mingling
- Twelve Steps to a Profitable Law Practice
- Can Lawyers Ethically Store and Transmit Client Information in the Cloud?
- 10 Things I Hate About the Little Things Lawyers Do
- How to Be Productive When You Are a Depressed Lawyer
- Confronting Lawyer Turnover in Law Firms
- Taking Control: Time Management Tips for Busy Lawyers
- Video: Resetting Default Heading Body Fonts in Microsoft Word
- Why Lawyers Really Struggle for Work-Life Balance
- Five Traits of Great Lawyers
- Make the Most of Business Development Meetings
- A Young Lawyer’s Path to Prosperity: Build a Powerful Personal Brand
- Three Marketing Best Practices for Lawyers Who Hate Marketing
- Five Ways Lawyers Can Use Google Trends
- Handwritten Notes Help Build Real Relationships
- Law Firm Website Trends to Watch: Tips from Drew Barton, Andrew Cabasso, Karin Conroy, Steve Matthews & Mike Ramsey
- Top 10 Attorney Directories Where You Should Be Found
- Advice to New Associates on Becoming a Rainmaker
- Make It Rain: Five Steps to Get New Clients
- The Secret Science of Mingling
NCBA Best of the Best
And over at the NC Bar Association, Catherine Sanders Reach (Director of the Center for Practice Management), flagged these 2018 highlights:
- 2018’s Most Important Legal Tech Stories. “Jason Tashea at the ABA Journal rounds up the most important legal technology trends from 2018 including privacy and data protection legislation, autonomous vehicles, the end of the smartphone patent wars, net neutrality and big tech mergers,” Reach writes on the NC Bar Blog. “Most of the cases cited are still ongoing and will continue to have impact on the legal world in the coming year.”
- Relax With Our Favorite Long Reads Of 2018. Editors and writers at the ABA journal picked their favorite in-depth features, which ranged from dealing with the opioid crisis to buying a Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg bobblehead.
What posts grabbed your attention in 2018?