Perhaps you’re feeling that way too as the holiday season – with its high stress – approaches.
And why not? This is the time of travel, cleaning, eating, family, tying up loose ends, more eating, juggled schedules, sleep deprivation, dysfunction, deadlines, depreciation, delegation, diminished capacity, defective title and default judgments.
Followed by more eating.
Not to mention the annual office party.
It’s enough to turn Atticus Finch into the Grinch.
But there is hope. The first step of any cure is acknowledging the problem, which in the present case is a simple matter of the BLAHS: Balancing Law and Holiday Stress.
Check your BLAHS level with this little test.
Which of the following is causing you greater anxiety:
1. (a) Mistletoe and holly (b) Bruno DeMolli *
2. (a) Icy roads (b) Workloads
3. (a) Fruitcakes and stomach aches (b) Defense theory half-baked
4. (a) Cousin Eddie (b) Trial brief not ready
5. (a) Long mall lines (b) District Court fines
6. (a) Seasonal flu (b) Discovery past due
7. (a) Red Ryder B-B gun (b) Family law is no fun
8. (a) Grandma got run over by a reindeer (b) Day certain drawing near
14. (a) Clatter of tiny hooves on roof (b) Unable to meet the burden of proof
15. (a) Tinsel and bows (b) Malpractice woes
16. (a) Justin Bieber holiday show (b) Client charged with violating RICO
17. (a) Opening gifts on Christmas morning (b) Failure to give Miranda warning
18. (a) Decorating the tree (b) Perjury
19. (a) Fir scents (b) Twinkie defense
20. (a) Ski vacation (b) Defalcation
How did you score? If you had an equal number of (a) and (b) answers, congratulations. Your law life is nicely balanced. You needn’t worry about contracting the BLAHS.
Just be careful not to overeat.
*This is our farewell mention to the beloved Bruno DeMolli who recently retired from the NC State Bar. Bruno, you’ll be missed.
Jay Reeves is an attorney licensed in North Carolina and South Carolina. Once upon a time he was Legal Editor at Lawyers Weekly and Risk Manager at Lawyers Mutual. He enjoys long walks on the beach and impersonating Elvis. Contact email@example.com or phone 919-619-2441; www.riskmanlawsolutions.com.
Jay Reeves practiced law in North Carolina and South Carolina and is author of The Most Powerful Attorney in the World. He runs Your Law Life LLC, which helps lawyers and firms improve their well-being and create saner, more successful law lives. He is available for talks, presentations and confidential consultations.