Lawyers Mutual Ranks the Top Christmas Films
Forty years ago, lawyers in North Carolina had a special reason to celebrate at Christmas.
After suffering through a protracted crisis where malpractice insurance was difficult or impossible to obtain, they happily discovered a gift of liability protection under their tree.
It came from a brand-new company called Lawyers Mutual, the first lawyer-owned and operated professional liability carrier in the country.
In the decades since its creation in 1977, Lawyers Mutual has continued to ring in the New Year with its insureds across the state.
Meanwhile, in December of 1977, people around the country were gathering around their television sets for the ABC movie special “It Happened One Christmas,” starring Marlo Thomas and Orson Welles. It was a gender-reversal remake of the classic “It’s a Wonderful Life,” and it was one of the highest-rated shows of the holiday season.
40 Top Christmas Movies
Looking for some seasonal cinema? In honor of Lawyers Mutual’s 40th birthday, here are 40 top Christmas movies of all-time, as rated by Rotten Tomatoes and other review sites. Included are a few surprising picks that aren’t traditional Christmas films but have a yuletide connection:
- It’s A Wonderful Life
- Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
- Holiday Inn
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- The Polar Express
- A Christmas Carol
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Love Actually
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 animated)
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
- The Muppet Christmas Carol
- A Christmas Story
- The Apartment
- Babes in Toyland
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Home Alone
- Trading Places
- Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
- Batman Returns
- Frosty the Snowman
- Christmas in Connecticut
- A Midnight Clear
- 3 Godfathers
- Meet Me in St. Louis
- Lethal Weapon
- The Santa Clause
- The Shop Around the Corner
- The Bishop’s Wife
- In Bruges
- Bad Santa
- Joyeux Noel
- Meet John Doe
- Ernest Saves Christmas
- Arthur Christmas
- Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
So what movies would you add – or subtract – from the list?
- Rotten Tomatoes https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-christmas-movies/4/
- Nerve http://www.nerve.com/entertainment/ranked/ranked-the-100-best-christmas-movies-of-all-time
- Good Housekeeping http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/holidays/christmas-ideas/g1315/best-christmas-movies/