Blogging is a very valuable marketing tool. More lawyers are beginning to realize the role a blog can play in building and expanding your reputation. A well-written blog showcases your knowledge and commitment to adding value to the services you provide.
Are you considering launching your blog, but you’re not quite sure where to start?
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when starting your blog:
- Consider your area of expertise. It’s always easier to develop content that focuses on areas in which you have a wealth of knowledge. This is also a way to establish yourself as a thought leader.
- Set a schedule. Lack of time is one of the main reasons many attorneys don’t blog. However, you’re in charge of setting your posting schedule. You can choose to blog once a week or every other Tuesday; the key lies in being consistent.
- Be Creative. Blogging gives you the opportunity to flex your creative muscles. A creative name for your blog as well as catchy blog post titles will help draw readers.
- If you think it, ink it. Your mind is always working overtime, it’s a good idea to keep a notepad and pen nearby to jot down your thoughts throughout the day. You may find this is a method that helps you come up with blog topics.
- Set goals. What does blog success look like to you? Think about what you want to accomplish with your blog. Setting goals for your blog will help you focus your topics when developing content.
- Stay on top of trends/hot topics. You might want to start actually reading the magazines and newsletters that flood your office every day. If there’s a subject matter that seems to keep popping up, take a minute and offer your perspective. Showing your readers that you know what’s going on and have your hand on the pulse of the legal industry will help establish you as a credible information source.
- Promote your blog. It’s important that you let people know you have a blog, otherwise all your great content goes to waste. Social media is a great way to distribute your blog. Be sure to share your posts on your firm’s social media pages, as well as your own; you’ll be surprised how many people you are able to reach.
For more tips to help you get started, check out “Blogging in One Hour for Lawyers” available in our lending library and start blogging today!