Fall is back-to-school time, which is a great opportunity to catch up on your reading.
And Lawyers Mutual is making it easy for you to compile your reading list. Below are some top titles of special interest to lawyers, legal professionals and law students.
You’ll find works of fiction, non-fiction, and even a list of legal thrillers by authors not named John Grisham.
And here’s a bonus: two true-crime books from our very own Steven Epstein, a litigation partner at Poyner Spruill: Murder on Birchleaf Drive and Evil at Lake Seminole.
So pour yourself a glass of sweet tea, take off your shoes, settle into your comfy chair, and let’s start reading.
Have you checked out Lawyers Mutual Consulting & Services? Founded by Camille Stell, who also serves as president, LMCS is a subsidiary of Lawyers Mutual. Its mission is to help firms build a modern law practice. It does that by offering expert advice and assistance into law firm trends and best practices. Camille and LMCS helps lawyers and firms create strategic plans and succession plans. A popular speaker and writer, Camille loves to guide lawyers through succession planning and into Life after Law. Contact her today.
10 Best Books for Law Students and Wannabe Law Students
- The Prince, by Niccolò Machiavelli
- One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School, by Scott Turow
- To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
- On Liberty, by John Stuart Mill
- Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius
- Declaration of Independence, Constitution of the United States of America, Bill of Rights and Constitutional Amendments, by the Founding Fathers
- Animal Farm, by George Orwell
- Can You Stiff Your Divorce Lawyer? Tales of How Cunning Clients Can Get Free Legal Work, as Told by an Experienced Divorce Attorney, by Portia Porter
- The Concept of the Political, by Carl Schmitt
- The Trial, by Franz Kafka
16 Top Legal Non-Fiction Books
- A Civil Action, by Jonathan Harr
- Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, by Irin Carmon
- Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town, by Jon Krakauer
- The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town, by John Grisham
- The Transformative Constitution: A Radical Biography in Nine Acts, by Gautam Bhatia
- 10 Judgements That Changed India, by Zia Mody
- Deep Delta Justice: A Black Teen, His Lawyer, and Their Groundbreaking Battle for Civil Rights in the South, by Matthew Van Meter
- John Adams Under Fire: The Founding Father’s Fight for Justice in the Boston Massacre Murder Trial, by Dan Abrams
- The Killer’s Shadow: The FBI's Hunt for a White Supremacist Serial Killer, by John E. Douglas
- Liability, by Peter W. Huber
- America’s First Freedom Rider: Elizabeth Jennings, Chester A. Arthur, and the Early Fight for Civil Rights, by Jerry Mikorenda
- Dracula was a Lawyer: Hundreds of Fascinating Facts from the World of Law, by Erin Barrett
- The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist: A True Story of Injustice in the American South, by Radley Balko
- The Ghosts of Eden Park: The Bootleg King, the Women Who Pursued Him, and the Murder That Shocked Jazz-Age America, by Karen Abbott
- Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee, byCasey Cep
- The Litigators, by John Grisham
10 Legal Thrillers by Authors Not Named John Grisham
- Every Reasonable Doubt, by Pamela Samuels Young
- Miracle Creek, by Angie Kim
- Bluebird, Bluebird, by Attica Locke
- Clean Hands, by Patrick Hoffman
- A Nearly Normal Family, by M.T. Edvardsson
- Mistaken Identity, by Lisa Scottoline
- The Emperor of Ocean Park, by Stephen L. Carter
- Blood Defense, by Marcia Clark
- An Invisible Client, by Victor Methos
- No Further Questions, by Gillian McAllister
Source: Book Riot
Lawyers Mutual can help you navigate the new normal. Our email newsletter “Practice Reimagined” offers timely tips, pointers and valuable links on wellness, work-life balance and quality of life – delivered straight to your in-box. Lawyers helping lawyers. It’s what we’ve been doing more than 40 years.