If you want your message to reach millennials without breaking your advertising budget, Facebook remains the place to go.
With more than 2.2 billion monthly users worldwide – and close to 165 million users in the US alone – Facebook is by far the most popular social media platform. Its customer base is roughly equal to that of Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram combined.
An even more delectable stat: the largest Facebook demographic is the oh-so-desirable 25-34 age bracket. That group makes up 29.7 percent of all users. Close to half of them log onto Facebook right after they wake up in the morning.
And the market continues to grow. By the time you’ve finished reading this article, approximately 2,000 new users will have joined Facebook. Every 60 seconds 150,000 photos are uploaded, 320,000 statuses are updated and 54,000 links are shared. That’s every single minute of every single day.
“What began as a way for college students to connect has grown into one of the world’s largest social networks,” writes social media consultant Maddy Osman. “In turn, it has become one of the best marketing resources too.”
10 Fun Facebook Facts
- More than 60 million businesses have a Facebook page.
- One-third of Facebook users engage with brands regularly.
- Almost 10 million business websites have Facebook like or share buttons.
- Forty percent of people like or follow a Facebook business in order to receive special offers.
- 83 percent of women and 75 percent of men use Facebook, according to Pew Research.
- 79 percent of Facebook users have a college degree, and 82 percent have attended some college.
- 5 billion comments are left on Facebook pages every month.
- People spend an average of 35 minutes on Facebook every day.
- Five new Facebook profiles are created every second.
- People check Facebook an average of eight times each day.
Four Facebook Marketing Tips
- Post videos. Facebook gets more than 8 million video views each day. Eighty percent of viewers prefer to watch videos with the sound off. Videos that are captioned get 12 percent more hits.
- You’ve got three seconds to grab them. Close to half of viewers will move on if they are not engaged within the first three seconds of a video post. The great majority of those who make it through three seconds will stick around until the end.
- Post on Thursday and Friday. Engagement is 18 percent higher on those two days. During the week, the highest traffic is between 1 and 3 pm.
- Don’t overlook Facebook Messenger. In recent years, this communication platform has seen phenomenal growth. As of December 2016, there were 1.2 billion monthly Messenger users.
Do you advertise on Facebook? What is your experience?