A $180 million legal malpractice lawsuit against international law firm DLA Piper ended in late May when a federal judge dismissed the case with prejudice.
The lawsuit, which stemmed from a 2018 shareholder action in which the plaintiff company was placed in receivership, was tossed by U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero in New York, who said the case was filed after the three-year statute of limitations had passed.
The case is Link Motion Inc v. DLA Piper LLP (US), U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1:22-cv-08313.
Read more in Reuters here.
What would happen to your law practice if you experienced a medical emergency? Who would take care of your clients? What if a key partner dies unexpectedly? What would happen to the firm? If you aren’t sure of the answers to those questions, HELP is available. Lawyers Mutual has assembled a rapid response team to Handle Emergency Legal Problems. Led by our in-house claims attorneys and outside counsel, our team has the training and resources to guide you through difficult professional times. Lawyers Mutual HELP will assess your crisis situation and work with you to craft a workable plan for moving forward. Since 1977, Lawyers Mutual has been there for our insureds and their clients. We have provided professional liability protection for NC lawyers longer than any other insurance company. Want to learn other ways Lawyers Mutual can HELP your practice? Visit our website, give us a call, or drop by our office. You’ll see why Lawyers Mutual is the smart choice for liability coverage in North Carolina.
Take The 30-Minute Malpractice Prevention Checkup
Want to know how safe your firm is from a malpractice claim? Take the Lawyers Mutual 30-Minute Self-Audit and find out.
The 100-question test is easy to complete. Simply by taking it – regardless of how you score – will give you valuable insights about your firm’s strengths and weaknesses. A good time for taking the test is just before your annual planning and budget session or when your Lawyers Mutual policy comes up for renewal. After the test, prepare a list of action steps to prevent malpractice claims and improve your firm’s risk management efforts.
Here are the 10 questions in the Calendar and Docket Control module:
1. Do you have a reliable system for tracking dates and deadlines?
2. Does your system include at least two of these features?
- Computerized calendar system
- Manual system (tickler cards/file box)
- Attorney’s calendar
- Matching secretary’s calendar
3. Do you have a backup system?
4. Do you calendar advance warnings prior to ultimate deadlines?
5. Do you follow up to see that work was actually completed?
6. Do you routinely enter important dates, such as:
- Statutes of limitations
- Court appearances and litigation deadlines
- Procedural deadlines
- Client-imposed deadlines
- Discovery dates
- Billing dates
- Office appointments
- Administrative hearings and deadlines
- Real estate deadlines
- Deadlines set by you and your staff
- Dates you will be out of the office
7. Do you have a designated Docket Czar to run the system?
8. Is everyone from senior partner to receptionist trained to use the system?
9. Do you keep a long-range calendar for one-year, five-, 10- and 20-year ticklers (for example, future work in estate or corporate files)?
10. Does your system produce daily or weekly activity calendars that are distributed to the responsible attorney and staff member?
For close to half a century, Lawyers Mutual has been the smart choice for professional liability coverage for North Carolina attorneys. We cover the state from Murphy to Manteo. We insure large firms, solo practitioners and everyone in between. We help new lawyers enter the profession with confidence, and we help keep seasoned veterans safe and successful. The numbers speak for themselves. Lawyers Mutual has been in business since 1977, making us the only insurance carrier to provide continuous protection over that period. Today we insure more than 8000 lawyers in North Carolina. Most of them will stick with us until they retire. Why? Because they know we are here for them today and will be here tomorrow, bringing protection and peace of mind in turbulent times. Visit our website, give us a call, or ask a colleague why Lawyers Mutual is the smart choice for liability coverage.