If you want to create a law office team that is loyal, hard-working and super-productive, don’t focus on their salary or benefits.
Give them autonomy instead.
“Providing employees with autonomy at work is more likely to generate creative solutions, especially if the work is complex and detail-oriented,” according to this article in the U.S. Chamber of Commerce newsletter CO. “Giving employees freedom will also lead to better productivity as employees are free to strike a proper work-life balance that will give them room to grow. Employee freedom also leads to lower employee turnover and higher brand loyalty.”
Everyone makes mistakes. When it happens to you, Lawyers Mutual has your back. For nearly half a century, Lawyers Mutual has been the smart choice for professional liability coverage for North Carolina attorneys. We cover the state from Murphy to Manteo. We insure large firms, solo practitioners and everyone in between. We help new lawyers enter the profession with confidence, and we help keep seasoned veterans safe and successful. The numbers speak for themselves. Lawyers Mutual has been in business since 1977, making us the only insurance carrier to provide continuous protection over that period. Today we insure more than 8000 lawyers in North Carolina. Most of them will stick with us until they retire. Why? Because they know we are here for them today and will be here tomorrow, bringing protection and peace of mind in turbulent times. Visit our website, give us a call, or ask a colleague why Lawyers Mutual is the smart choice for liability coverage.
Tips for Creating an Autonomous Team
- Be open to their suggestions. Great leaders listen more than they talk. They act on good ideas, regardless of who came up with them. They welcome feedback. They thrive on collaboration. They share the credit.
- Give them flexibility. To the extent possible, let them set their own work schedules. “If you feel like this is handing over the reins too much, start with small steps like asking your employees what shift they prefer to work or which days they’d like to take off,” according to this U.S. Chamber of Commerce article. “Creating — and advocating for — a work-life balance will provide boundless freedom and, in turn, employee loyalty.”
- Support your team’s career goals. Facilitate their professional journey.
- Get to know them as individuals. “People come from all walks of life, and each individual’s work style is unique,” writes Kaytlyn Mroz for CO. “Introverts and extroverts should be managed differently, including those who work best independently or those who thrive during collaboration. Everyone on your team will succeed with the right kind of support. As the manager, be willing to take the time and figure out what that support means to each person on your team.”
- Lead with respect and trust. This creates a positive and dedicated workforce.
- Help your staff solve their problems. “Listen when they come to you directly with a problem,” according to this article. “Be open to making changes. If a previously established process is not working for an employee on your team, ask them to come up with a solution they think will work better for them (and maybe other employees, too). Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn’t mean it is still the best process to follow.”
Why choose Lawyers Mutual for your financial protection? One reason is experience. Lawyers Mutual has been in business since 1977 and insures more than 8000 lawyers in North Carolina. We’ve been providing continuous protection from professional liability to NC lawyers longer than any other insurance company. Another reason is stability. The company’s financial strength is absolute. Since 1999, Lawyers Mutual has paid dividends fourteen times, with more than $8 million dollars returned to policyholders since 2011. Want even more reasons? Visit our website, give us a call, or ask a colleague why Lawyers Mutual is the smart choice for liability coverage.