If you’re like most people, you probably use the same password for more than one online account.
That’s a mistake.
“Password security has always been relevant, but it has become even more so today as cybercriminals continue to think of new and innovative ways to hack accounts and get ahold of your personal data,” according to Norton Security. “On average, people reuse the same password for 10 different accounts. Because of this, it’s needless to note that the majority of people need to rethink their password security.”
Here are 5 tips from Norton to create a strong password:
- Never use personal information. Don’t use personal information like names, birthdays or addresses.
- Use a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. Most accounts require this.
- Make it long. At least 16 characters are recommended.
- Don’t reuse passwords. You’ll be easy pickings in a credential stuffing attack.
- Avoid using real words. Password thieves have tools that can scan every word in the dictionary. Thwart them with gibberish.
What would happen to your law practice if you experienced a medical emergency? Who would take care of your clients? What if a key partner dies unexpectedly? What would happen to the firm? If you aren’t sure of the answers to those questions, HELP is available. Lawyers Mutual has assembled a rapid response team to Handle Emergency Legal Problems. Led by our in-house claims attorneys and outside counsel, our team has the training and resources to guide you through difficult professional times. Lawyers Mutual HELP will assess your crisis situation and work with you to craft a workable plan for moving forward. Since 1977, Lawyers Mutual has been there for our insureds and their clients. We have provided professional liability protection for NC lawyers longer than any other insurance company. Want to learn other ways Lawyers Mutual can HELP your practice? Visit our website, give us a call, or drop by our office. You’ll see why Lawyers Mutual is the smart choice for liability coverage in North Carolina.
10 Password Tips from Lawyers Mutual
- Keep passwords a secret, even from tech support. No one else should have your password. Ever.
- Make it more complicated. Don’t use simple words or personal information.
- The longer the better. Passwords become harder to crack the longer they are.
- Use a passphrase instead. It’s much harder to hack “IAteA$10Hotdog” than “SummerFun18.”
- Don’t duplicate passwords. Use a unique password for each site, and don’t simply add another number to the end of a single password.
- Change passwords every 60-90 days. This is especially true for sites with sensitive information.
- If you think an account has been compromised, change your password immediately. Also check other accounts for suspicious activity.
- Make security question answers hard to guess and vary your questions/answers so that you aren’t duplicating security information.
- Implement additional security features, such as two-step authentication.
- Have password procedures for your entire firm. Any employee can be a weak link in security.
Secure Password Checklist
- Use longer passwords, preferably a passphrase (12 or more characters.)
- Use a combination of letters, special characters, and numbers.
- Avoid using names, dates, or words found in the dictionary.
- Never share your password.
- Do not write your password down.
- If you think a password is compromised, change it immediately.
For close to half a century, Lawyers Mutual has been the smart choice for professional liability coverage for North Carolina attorneys. We cover the state from Murphy to Manteo. We insure large firms, solo practitioners and everyone in between. We help new lawyers enter the profession with confidence, and we help keep seasoned veterans safe and successful. The numbers speak for themselves. Lawyers Mutual has been in business since 1977, making us the only insurance carrier to provide continuous protection over that period. Today we insure more than 8000 lawyers in North Carolina. Most of them will stick with us until they retire. Why? Because they know we are here for them today and will be here tomorrow, bringing protection and peace of mind in turbulent times. Visit our website, give us a call, or ask a colleague why Lawyers Mutual is the smart choice for liability coverage.